1) Do you have pergola rafter tails. 2 by 8"?
Go to the list. Select 8" from the list of rafter widths. And print out.
2) Hi, I'm wondering why you chose the default widths? The rafters I'll be using are 2 by 8, 2 by 6 and 2 by 4. These sizes are standard. Will the default templates work for me?
You should have no problem with sizes 8", 6" and 4" widths. You can select and print off one at a time from the rafter width list.
3) Need template for 2x6" and 2x10".
10" is now on the list.
4) Hi, I have 7.5" rafters....is there a template for that size?
7.5" has been added. Check the Pergola Width list.
5) Hello and thank you. I have a 10" Width that I am seeking a template for. Can you assist? Thanks, Tom
The 10" template is new and I have added it to the list.
6) My handyman instructed me to look for a template for 2 x 6 and 2 X 12 rafters. I am thinking the 6" width will work for one but I must modify it in order to get it also on the 12 inch rafter. Any help will be appreciated, and I will just have the templates printed.
The question is. How to modify a 6" width template to get a 12" width template?
Look at this enlargement example. For a 5.5" template.
It shows how you can enlarge a 5.5" template to make a 9" template. The multiplier is 9 divided by 5.5 = 1.636
(9/5.5 not 5.5 / 9 which makes the shape shrink).
You need it to get larger so multiplier must be greater than 1.
A to B is 8.5. So A to C becomes 8.5x 1.636 = 13.9
Do the same for each corner of the original pergola rafter tails shape. And for all the equally spaced points on the curve.
So to answer your question.
To enlarge your 6" width pergola template to 12" use the multiplier 12/6 = 2. And repeat as above for your new template.
You can place the new A in roughly the same position below the curve. The rest follows on. Good Luck.
P.S. A 12" width rafter is big so make sure you have enough paper to draw the shape.
7) Hi there, was looking for a template to trace out on my 2×8. Would appreciate it you could please send me a template. Thanks Bryan
I have recently added 8". Please see the new Rafter width list.
8) What are the ends of a pergola called?
They are known by several names including:
Pergola Rafter Tails
Pergola Decorative Ends
Pergola End Cuts
In my experience Pergola Rafter Tails has stronger associations with Templates you can download and print off. See Pergola Rafter Tail Templates.
What size should pergola rafters be?
They are usually 2" thick and anything from 4" to 12" in width. The most popular are 6"x 2" and 5.5"x2" depending on the size of your garden.
How long should a rafter tail be?
There are no hard and fast rules about this. As this is the more creative part of your pergola project.
With my Pergola Rafter Tail templates I allow 3x Width. So a 6" width rafter tail template will be 3x6" = 18" long. I recommend the rafter tails protrude 18" (3xwidth) from the beam position.
Where do your requests come from?
80% of visitors are from the US. 12% come from Canada.
The UK come next with the rest of the World. See Maps.
Do you have a new pergola project idea? A wish to comment on your new pergola rafter tails or anything on this page?
I'd love you to share it!
Pergola Rafter Tails Q&A > Build Tu Home